Social security support and
social welfare

Before applying for financial support, you must do the following:

  • If you are married, in a civil partnership or living with someone, you must first help each other financially.
  • If you have your own money in the bank or shares or share funds, you must use these first to support yourself. If you have assets that can be realised quickly, you must sell these. If you also have other assets, such as a villa, boat or car, you must sell these.
  • You must apply for all benefits available to you, such as housing benefit, pension, sickness benefit, parental benefit or maintenance support.
  • You can contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) for more information about how to apply for the benefits above.
  • You must also investigate whether you are entitled to a-kassa or Alfa-kassa unemployment benefit.
  • You must demonstrate that you are actively seeking work by registering with the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) in Kramfors. You must do this before applying for financial support.
  • You must also look for work yourself and report to Social Services that you have done this.
  • If you pay charges for childcare or home help services, for example, you must contact them and check that your charges are correct given your current income.

If you are a student or own your own company, you are only entitled to financial support in exceptional cases.

How to apply for financial support?

In the first instance, you should contact the finance social workers by telephone on 0612-800 00. You will be able to explain your situation to them. They will also provide information about what documents you need to submit with your application.

Once you have submitted your application to the municipal authority, an appointment will be made for you with a social worker within 2–3 weeks. You will usually receive a decision within five working days after your appointment, provided that your application was complete.

Financial support is reviewed every month. As this support is temporary, your entitlement to it is assessed on the basis of what you have done in order to be in a position to support yourself as soon as possible.

An application form will be sent to you once you have contacted a social worker.

When will I receive my money?

There are no fixed payment dates for social welfare and it is paid once a decision has been made by your social worker.

Uppdaterad: Sidansvarig: Christina Brännmark


Kom in customer service
Tel. 0612-800 00

Visiting address
Torggatan 2
872 80 Kramfors

Postal address
Kramfors kommun
872 80 Kramfors